Thakorn Wannawong is one hot property. His Takara Wong fashion house is making its name worldwide on strength of design innovations and thoughtful messages. Thakorn once worked in the food industry, but then decided to follow his true passion, and started a clothing brand.
From Food to Fashion
- I have a degree in creative marketing. Then I went to study Le Cordon Bleu in Austrlia. Strangely, it was when I found out that I loved fashion. When I returned home, I just went for it, and took a short course at Bunka. Then I came out with my first collection.
- I let my works speak for themselves. Initially, I didn’t want to let anyone know that I was the designer, but that proved impossible. I don’t believe in hard sales. I try to stay honest with what my brand is.
Takara Wong Style
- It’s unisex. It’s subcultural. I grew up with punk rockers, deejays, BMX riders, skateboarders and surfers. I was once a promoter for WHVCK. Subcultures inspire me. The brand’s DNA is definitely “trial and error”.
- If you put your heart and mind into it, you’ll develop your own signature. We didn’t look to anyone when we first started. There are so brands these days, but I’d like to believe that there are certain things that tell people that this is a Takara Wong piece. We used patchworks, metals and eyelets in the first collection, and zippers played a prominent part in our second one. The third collection is using a lot of studs. We also have messages hidden in our items
- I think I have been garnering ideas since I was a child. It’s like a storage that can be pulled out when needed. I’ve always questioned inequality, sexism, class division and racism and abusive authority.
Love To Hate Me
- It’s from my personal curiosity. I’ve always wondered why Japanese street racers seem to be cooler than their Thai counterparts. I’ve always been interested in Japan and its many cultural facets.
- It was unexpected. International media outlets are paying attention from Vanity Teen Magazine, Vogue, W Magazine as well as fashion bloggers.
- Jaden and Willow Smith. They are our muses.
- I would like to collaborate with a jewelry brand.
- In five years, I would like to sell in international multi-brand stores. In the next two years, I would like to separate Takara Wong into two lines—female and male.
ADD SWEETNESS TO YOUR LOOK